Sunday, January 3, 2016

Ribbon Headband


Found some old ribbon from my childhood era, a stripe of floral cotton ribbon with white lace on its side. I used to wear it as a headband by tying it on my head and secure it with some hair clips.
Now, it gets frayed on the both edges, and the length is not enough to be tied to my recent head size, of course I'm grown up.
So, I recycled it into a real headband forever for its last time.


by Dessy Dinata via Flickr


Beside the old floral cotton ribbon, I also use some base material as below for this project.
Here I choose a half inches wide plastic headband as the base, that I got from an old headband which I want to recycle too.
Then, a stripe of a third quarter inches wide white satin ribbon, I choose white satin for the ribbon base, as it's better to sharpen any shades than other color.
And, a stripe of a half inches wide ivory felt as the headband foam, if you like.
A white thread and sewing needle.
Also the adhesive, such as double sided tape and super glue.


by Dessy Dinata via Flickr


Simply put the double sided tape along the outer side starts from about two inches on the inner edge of the plastic headband to the other on the inner edge of the plastic headband. (Figure 1)
Then, attach the felt stripe, sometimes I secure the bond with a little super glue. (Figure 2)
Continue with the white satin ribbon on top of the felt stripe, secure it with some stitches, and a little of super glue if needed.
Last is the cotton ribbon which already neatly trim on its both edges, may use an anti-fray liquid for the edge. (Figure 4) And, remember to secure along the ribbon with some stitches. (Figure 3)

by Dessy Dinata via Flickr


The old ribbon becomes new again and ready to complete my looks!




Follow on Paperli

Celebration Calendar