Friday, January 29, 2016

My Lady Fascinator


by Dessy Dinata via Flickr


Again, another project using recycle materials, and it's a headpiece also. 2016 January, seems me a little addicted with the fascinator headpiece project. This one is a bit lazy, as I use some of vintage edge laces that fortunately has a match color with my brocade scraps and the organza flowers.
As in the picture below, I prepare an old disc, some fabric scraps such as satin, brocade and felt each in matching color, and previously cut. I cut one piece of satin, one piece of brocade, and two pieces of the felt, according to the old disc' size.
Also, I prepare a satin bias tape, some yellowish cream satin roses, and some padding foam - that I forget to include in the picture. And... of course the super glue, needle and sewing thread.


by Dessy Dinata via Flickr


First of the first in the making process is to prepare the base.
Here, I use the old disc and the padding foam that I cut in three sizes previously - the smallest padding foam is about a half inches smaller than the middle foam that about a half inches smaller than the largest foam which has the same size as the old disc. So each foams have about a half inches differences. (Figure 1)
I want the base looks a little puffy in the center, not a fully flat, so I place the smallest foam in the center of the old disc first, and secure it with the super glue. (Figure 2)
Then, attach the middle foam on the smallest, also secure with super glue. Last, stack and cover the previously foams with the largest foam, and secure it's edge with the super glue. (Figure 3) Give the foam a little soft pressed along its edge to make it looks more naturally puff.


by Dessy Dinata via Flickr


Next step after preparing the base is about how to cover it.
As seen in the picture below, I prepare the fabric by sewing the ply of brocade, satin and a piece of felt together, with the satin in between the others (Figure 1), and neat seam a match color bias tape along it's round edge (Figure 2).
Then, attach the base - the foam side - onto the felt side with some super glue, as the brocade side will be on the top and the old disc will be on the bottom. (Figure 3)
Carefully close-wrap the disc's edge with the bias tape and secure it with super glue. Attach the lace on the bias tape, and cover the bottom with the other felt piece (Figure 4).

by Dessy Dinata via Flickr


I sew about two felt tabs at the bottom felt sides for my Mily Headband.
Ohh.. It looks so lacy (Figure 5) and the base is ready to decorate, I use three organza flowers and four yellowish cream roses for My Lady Fascinator.


Follow on Paperli

Celebration Calendar